12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12
The word of a God is alive, powerful, and sharper than any sword of man, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit. Often, it’s hard to know from where we are coming. Is that my soul, or spirit, talking? What are the true motives of my heart? How can I know? Am I coming from the outer man, my flesh or the inner man, where Christ dwells in my heart by faith?
Thankfully, we have the word of God which, in the hands of the Holy Spirit, can separate thoroughly, not only where we are coming from but also the why. When I meditate His word, I place myself inside of His word and His divine “heart wash”. Here, I find myself; or often I am “caught“, which is a glorious thing. To be caught is to experience conviction where, for a moment inside of his complete love and justification, I see my heart’s agenda. I am free when I am caught, just as I am bound when I cannot see.
The word of God helps me answer “Is that my soul speaking or my spirit? Am I trying to save my soul or yield to God in my spirit?” I can’t see without a His words. When I see and hear His voice in His word, I understand with my heart and I can turn to Him and be healed. Repentance—Thinking a new thought, or thinking again, brings joy in heaven and healing to me on earth.
I don’t have to try to figure things out. That’s the word of God’s job. All I do is hear and see, meditating His word, ascribing to Him the truths in His word, and believing what I am hearing.
- The Lord brings promises of what He is doing. These promises will purify me as my hope is set upon Him.
- Only He knows when I am ready to see something about myself that is hindering me.
- He lives with my incompleteness, inside of His completeness.
- He received me in His justification, as I continue to work out my salvation.
The word of God is God’s gift, in which to bring faith, conviction and change. He uses His water of His word to wash us, in order to present us to Himself as a glorious bride, without spot and wrinkle, Holy and without blemish.
What he gives us is eternal and becomes our confession that we hold before our faithful High Priest. His word, cleanses us and strengthens us in our inner man, for Christ to dwell in our heart by faith as we become ever more rooted and grounded in His love.
- Oh the beauty of a His living word!
- Take time this week to meditate His word.
- Find a passage that answers a need in your life or a place of offense that you are seeking resolution.
- Then take the passage and visit it in prayer standing under its flow of water like you would in a shower or bathtub soaking in its sounds and sights that it presents.
Soon you will hear more and see more inside this passage. These are eternal promises being given, they come first, and then things will fall off—the temporal issues that would snag us. A passage can be enjoyed for weeks, months, even years, there is no time limit. Just stay until the next passage is presented for you to live in.